Buying a home for the first time can often seem harder than it has to be. Use these 10 tips to help make the process as smooth as possible, putting you that much closer to making your dream of home ownership come true! With the right knowledge and preparation on your part (and the right agent), the first-time home buying process can be fun, educational, and a process you’d welcome again!
Last week I provided Part 1 with the first 5 tips for first-time home buyers. Here are the remaining 5!
6. Do All Inspections – Even if you’re buying a home that comes with a home warranty and all appear to be great on the surface, having the proper home inspections done before you buy will save you a lot of trouble later…trust me! There are so many aspects of a home that can go unnoticed, so you want to hire a professional to dig deeper than you can see to point out areas of uncertainty. From the foundation to the attic, it is in your best interest to know exactly what you’re buying.
7. Don’t Focus on Visual Appeal – When you’re looking at a home you’re considering buying, you must look further than the way a home looks – whether it’s good or bad. Remember, cosmetic things like paint color, wallpaper, and even the size of some rooms can all be changed. On the other hand, don’t get caught up with work that has already been done to make the home look better than it actually is. Again, this is where your home inspection will benefit you. Just because a home appears to be updated and in good shape, doesn’t always mean there aren’t underlying issues or that the updates were done correctly.
8. Know What You Want – Before you begin narrowing down your choices for your first home if you’re buying with a partner, whether it be a spouse or significant other, make sure you’re both in agreement about what is really important to have in the home. This will avoid problems and arguments down the road.
9. Consider Re-sale value – Chances are good that your first home will not be the only one you purchase…meaning you’ll need to sell this one at some point. Always consider how easy or hard it may be to sell in the future. Review items like:
- How long the home you’re considering has been on the market.
- Are there other homes for sale in the immediate area and why.
- Are you buying a home on a main street or high traffic area.
- Will you be able to improve the home in order to sell for a good price later.
10. Keep Your Emotions in Check – I highly recommend not buying the first home you look at, even if you “fall in love” with it. You need to see more than one to make the best decision. Also, remember your budget. Don’t over extend yourself just because this “may” be the perfect home. Homes are listed for sale every day you will find the one that’s just right for you!
If you’re a first-time home buyer, what questions do you have?
My name is Helen Miltiades and I am an experienced Realtor in Savannah, Ga. Please don’t hesitate to contact me for any Real Estate or vacation needs and questions. Connect with me on my Facebook Page for even more events and happenings in the Savannah area, as well as home ownership tips, real estate market updates, and so much more!
If you are moving to the Savannah, Ga area, any one of the many homes for sale could just be your dream home!